Two techniques used to seed beads

Korujen valmistus siemenhelmistä; tekniikat, materiaalit ja työvälineet.

Moderators: Cattleya, Muikku, Eowyn, inkku, Henna

JensenBreck
korukivikasan keskellä
Oikea käyttäjä: Olen
Lasku: 18

Two techniques used to seed beads

Post by JensenBreck » Mon Dec 18, 2017 13:33

Hi,
Two principal techniques are used to produce seed beads: the wound method and the drawn method. The wound method is the more-traditional technique, is more time consuming, and is no longer used in modern bead production: in this technique, a chunk of glass known in glassmaking as a gather and composed mainly of silica is heated on an iron bar until molten. A second bar of iron is then inserted into the gather and the two bars quickly drawn apart creating a long glass rod (the final width of which would depend on how quickly and how far the bars are separated before the glass solidifies). This rod is then cut into shorter rods for handling. Next, one of these is re-heated and wound around a hot metal wire creating a ring of glass which is then worked and shaped until smooth and round. This is done several times on the same wire creating a series of glass rings. Once the wire cools, the rings are slipped off and then used as beads. For the drawn method, an air bubble is created within the gather and as the iron bars are drawn apart they produce a long tube rather than a rod. This tube is then cooled, cut into rings, and the rings are tumbled to remove sharp edges before being used as beads. Is this right information about seed beads? I have gone through many related sources but i didn't get right solution.

Please help.
Thanks!

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed_bead

3D Medical Video